To mark the 10th anniversary of Verbum Domini (Pope Benedict XVI’s Apostolic Exhortation on ‘The Word of the Lord’) and the 1600th anniversary of the death of St Jerome (who translated the Bible into Latin and wrote a number of Scriptural commentaries), the Catholic Bishops Conference of England and Wales have dedicated 2020 as a Year of the Word.
This leaflet forms a simple introduction to the year, including:
• Advice on the prayerful reading of Scripture, particularly on the Gospel of Matthew;
• An explanation of the signs and symbols used in the Gospel Liturgy;
• An exploration of the Church’s use of Scripture;
• Saints who played an important role in helping us to be guided by God’s revelation;
• Prayers featured in Scripture;
• How Scripture played an important part in the lives of various saints;
• Official prayers for the year.